Happy new year! Yikes, it's been a while since I've written a blog post. Here's a quick update on some of the stuff I've been working on recently.
I'm replacing Kellie as CTO, and so my first act (even before I started...) was cracking the whip (mostly on myself), and getting the APIs@CMU out the door. We've launched our first API, with scheduling data, and hopefully will be launching more in the coming months. If you are a CMU student and would like to get in on our "developer preview", please email firstname.lastname@example.org, and we can provide you with an API key.
ScottyLabs also puts on TartanHacks, CMU's largest hackathon, and this year we almost doubled our turnout. (From about 150 last year to almost 300 this year, iirc.) While I was supposed to be mentoring, much of my time was taken up with getting people API keys, and adding data to the APIs. I did have enough time to help some people with Github and Heroku, so that was good. (I also got to play with Google Glass, and I was very impressed.)
Tess and I did a bunch of work on this over break, and we're going to launch our new landing page service soon. (I hope.) Stay tuned.
Random Side Projects
I have a couple of other things I'm working on:
- An app for keeping track of hours in solo/group projects (because all of the existing ones are lame or expensive)
- An app for displaying your whereabouts based on social media checkins (with high/low fidelity modes for the privacy conscious)
- A API for static website management (possibly also with a web console)
Oh yeah, and this semester I'm taking the following classes:
- 15-440: Distributed Systems (wooo systems.)
- 36-315: Statistical Graphics and Visualizations (making graphs in R! It's fun times.)
- 80-311: Undecidability and Incompleteness (propositional logic -> set theory -> computability)
- 70-311: Organizational Behavior (a business class, but surprisingly interesting so far)
- 67-373: Fundamentals of Systems Development II (a year long "build a software thing!" class. It looks like we're going to be doing social movie recommendations.)
So hopefully I will have more projects to show off soon. Have a productive 2013, everyone!